Parking brake

A how-to is an informal, often short, description of how to accomplish some specific task (Wikipedia)
TheLever

Parking brake

Postby TheLever » 10 Jan 2017, 20:29

Hi drivers,

A seemingly simple question to which the answer eludes me: I am trying to get the regular P3D/FSX parking brake to work as I have addons which depend on that. I understand you can set an FSUIPC offset, and I think I found the right one, but for some reason it does not work for me. Has anyone succeeded in doing this? If so, how? Which offset and what value?

Thanks,

tdeller

Re: Parking brake

Postby tdeller » 11 Jan 2017, 00:02

There's a variable in the Combined Config section, under the MIP tab, called Parking Brake On and another called Parking Brake Off.

Set your parking brake switch to that variable.

Capture.JPG

In my case, (see image) I have a discreet ON and OFF switch for the parking brake, so I've set them both. But if you just have an on-off switch, then set it appropriately (eg: if the switch is "on" when the brake is set, then use the Parking Brake On variable).

The trick is: the ProSim software sets the brakes to max available pressure when you turn this Parking Brake on. So you need hydraulic pressure in the YELLOW HYD system. Without an engine running, use the Electric Pump to charge up this system (you'll hear the PTU running while the elec pump is on) and after about 30 seconds or so, the pressure in the accumulator will be enough to hold the brakes on.

Hope this helps!
Ted

TheLever

Postby TheLever » 11 Jan 2017, 21:44

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the reply. I have the Skalarki complete pedestal, so from a hardware perspective I am covered. I was more wondering how to get GSX working as it requires the standard FSX/P3D parking brake set. I see that you can associate an offset in FSUIPC, which is what I believe is needed, but couldn't make it work.

Thanks,

Pim

Postby Pim » 12 Jan 2017, 10:58

Hallo All,

There is a gate in ProSim (Hydraulic Parking brake set) that shows the state of the parking brake. I use that to pass information via a FSUIPC offset to my program that takes care of the REFUEL and PUSH BACK panels. I added the standard offset for the parking brake to it (0x0BC8) but that does not seem to work. Using the pmFileCheck program I can see that its value never changes (it is always 0). So somethings else is controlling it, ProSim perhaps?

Best regards,

--pim

Marty

Postby Marty » 12 Jan 2017, 11:44

We model the braking system by calculating the exact pressure in the braking cylinders, which varies based on accumulator pressure. Since the FSX/prepar3d parking brake is a fixed pressure system, we chose not to use it.
However, there seems to be quite a lot of addons that depend on the actual FSX/Prepar3d parking brake being set, so I propose to change the model. Starting in 1.03b8, whenever the brake cylinder pressure is high enough to cause maximum brake effectiveness, I will use the actual backend parking brake signal instead of just the regular brakes. This should allow better interaction with third party addons.

tdeller

Postby tdeller » 12 Jan 2017, 19:21

Thanks Marty.

This was one of the first things I encountered when I started using your A320 software. And I LOVE how you replicate the real thing with such attention to detail and fidelity in the simulation -- even down to the way the brakes actually function.

Cheers,
Ted

TheLever

Postby TheLever » 12 Jan 2017, 23:57

Marty wrote:whenever the brake cylinder pressure is high enough to cause maximum brake effectiveness, I will use the actual backend parking brake signal instead of just the regular brakes. This should allow better interaction with third party addons.

Fantastic Marty! Thanks :)

Return to “How-tos”