Intercom Configuration

A how-to is an informal, often short, description of how to accomplish some specific task (Wikipedia)
KiloJuliett

Re: Intercom Configuration

Post by KiloJuliett » 17 Oct 2018, 20:33

Having tried to bring this to life for hours, but unfortunately without success yet. Therefore, your help would be much appreciated.
First of all, the incomplete naming of the devices makes it hard in some cases to identify the correct device to be selected. And I'm not sure if ProSimAudio does correctly recognize which of the few devices with the same name has actually been selected.
The documentation is quite straight forward, but not really complete and helpful if you run into an issue as we (together with bravolima) do. Although FO items are selected on the FO side and CPT items on the CPT side and capture and playback devices are set, we cannot hear anything. Nor can I read myself on any side neither can you on the other seat.
Possibly we miss something very simple and basic. Therefore, could someone answer the following questions (and someone maybe update the documentation accordingly)?
  • Is the intercom intended to work anytime? Or does it need a specific switch setting (ASP)?
  • Who shall read what?
  • How exactly does the test button work? I can't find any functionality when hitting it.
Jonas Kuster, Switzerland
Supporting 'bravolima' with his ProSim B738 setup

wpslider

Post by wpslider » 17 Oct 2018, 20:53

KiloJuliett wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 20:33
  • Is the intercom intended to work anytime? Or does it need a specific switch setting (ASP)?
No, you need to use the I/C on the ASP or Yoke
KiloJuliett wrote:
  • Who shall read what?
All should read the intercom
KiloJuliett wrote:
  • How exactly does the test button work? I can't find any functionality when hitting it.
What test button? Comm radio? just remove the squelsh and you will have static sound.

Note that ASP switches need to be correctly assigned. You MUST assign the NORMAL/ALT and IC/RT for the intercom to work correctly.

Regards
Humberto Miguel

sunmartial

Post by sunmartial » 17 Oct 2018, 20:57

Hi Jonas

I think you are also making a mistake I made at the beginning.
On the Cpt side in Prosim Audio, the boxes you must tick are the F/O and Observer ones. On the FO side, you must tick the Captain and Observer ones, and on the Observer one (if you are using one), you must select the Captain and F/O items.

In other words for each Prosim Audio, you must select the sounds you want to hear. So on the Captain's side, you will hear the F/O and Observer audio. hope that makes sense.

Regards
Sunny
Cyprus

P3D v4.4, Prosim v2.21 (MSFS connect), FSUIPC v5.13, server PC (i9-9900K), 3 projectors, 2 avionics PCs, Windows 10, Open Cockpits modules except MCP and EFIS (from CpFlight), and CFY Throttle v4 Pro.

KiloJuliett

Post by KiloJuliett » 17 Oct 2018, 21:05

Thanks for your quick answers!
wpslider wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 20:53
What test button? Comm radio? just remove the squelsh and you will have static sound.
I was referring to the "Intercom Test" button in the ProSimAudio application. Should it beep on all stations you should hear the intercom. Is the intercom turned on for 5 seconds or so to test voice transmissions?
wpslider wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 20:53
Note that ASP switches need to be correctly assigned. You MUST assign the NORMAL/ALT and IC/RT for the intercom to work correctly.
They need the correct function to be assigned in ProSim configuration, correct? We are working with CPflight hardware in this regard. So most assignments are already done correctly. Anything else I need to configure specifically to make the intercom work?

sunmartial wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 20:57
On the Cpt side in Prosim Audio, the boxes you must tick are the F/O and Observer ones. On the FO side, you must tick the Captain and Observer ones, and on the Observer one (if you are using one), you must select the Captain and F/O items.

In other words for each Prosim Audio, you must select the sounds you want to hear. So on the Captain's side, you will hear the F/O and Observer audio. hope that makes sense.
Thanks for this explanation. So I would put then CPT/FO/OBS voice items active on all positions, because this is my understanding of how the intercom works. Anyone can shout any time and everyone will hear it. NAV sounds are probably better to be heard only be the respective seat.

wpslider

Post by wpslider » 17 Oct 2018, 21:25

If audio devices are correct, intercom test will open the mic and you will have audio (most likely feedback if not using headsets)

CPFlight ASP should be PnP. Just check ProSim UI to see if switches are correctly detected.
Humberto Miguel

KiloJuliett

Post by KiloJuliett » 18 Oct 2018, 19:41

Audio devices have been tested and all work. They are setup correctly in the ProSimAudio app. Attached the screenshot from the ProSim configuration when both seats attempt to transmit on the intercom.
2018-10-18 ProSim Misc ASP Fo.PNG
2018-10-18 ProSim Misc ASP Fo.PNG (6.23 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
Somehow, the FO side suddenly started to work (I really don't have a clue why it works now). The CPT side is configured the same way, but there is no audio received. Neither from the CPT mic itself nor from the FO. Temporarily deactivated the firewall on the CPT and also the FO Audio machine, but didn't help. Any ideas?

Jollylaus

Post by Jollylaus » 30 Dec 2018, 16:46

Hi,
I'm struggling to get the intercom/ASPs fully running, escpecially the to control speakers as separate function via the SPKR buttom on the CPT ASP (ON/OFF, Vol Control), and the control of incoming sounds from ASP4 (ATIS message), FSRAAS, GSX which to my understanding should be controllable through the VHF1/VHF2 pencil buttons.
The Intercom works.

I use two CPflight Pro2 ASP modules.

My current set-up is as follows:

On P3D main PC
I use two soundcards (SC), for convenience named:
- SC_CPT_SPK with left and right Overhead Speaker connected to the SPK Output plug.
- SC_CPT_HS to which the CPT Headset and Boom Micro is connected to
For each SC I run a PS_Audio instance: PSA_CPT_SPKR and PSA_CPT_HS.

The PSA_CPT_SPKR instance is configured as follows:
- On the config page:
-- Nothing set under Intercom Capture Device
-- The speaker of SC_CPT_SPK are selected as Intercom Playback Device, and type set as Speaker
On the Sound selection table I have selected all relevant sounds (GWPS, TCAS, ....), plus:
- Captain NAV, Captain Boom (with 30% sound level as side tone), VHF1, VHF2, FO Boom

The PSA_CPT_HS instance is configured as follows:
- On the config page:
-- The microphone of SC_CPT_HS is selected as Intercom Capture Device, and type set as Boom
-- The speaker of SC_CPT_HS are selected as Playback Capture Device, and type set as Headset
On the Sound selection table I have selected the same sounds as for the speaker

On Client PC
I use one soundcard (SC), for convenience named:
- SC_FO_HS to which the FO Headset and Boom Micro is connected to
For this SC I run a PS_Audio instance: PSA_FO_HS with the following configuration
- On the config page:
-- The microphone of SC_FO_HS is selected as Intercom Capture Device, and type set as Boom
-- The speaker of SC_FO_HS are selected as Playback Capture Device, and type set as Headset
On the Sound selection table I have selected the same sounds as for the the main PC, plus
- F/O NAV, F/O Boom (with 30% sound level as side tone), VHF1, VHF2, Captain Boom

What works:
- Intercom via I/C button
- VHF1 & VHF2 squelch (when Test button pressed is pressed on the Radio panels), and related Vol Control
- NAV1 & Nav2 squelch already get active when NAV1 / NAV2 pencil buttons are latched, even withoute pressing the Test buttons on the Nav panels. Vol Control works
- Morse sound for Navs and ADF, Vol Control.
All TCAS / GWPS warnings are played on on CPT and FO headsets, and OVHD SPK

Whats doesn't work (and that's the point of my post):
- I cannot switch OFF the Speaker sounds via the the CPT ASP SPKR pencil button. I thought this should be the case since the soundcard is configured as type 'Speaker'.
- For the time being I have configured ASP4, FSRAAS, GSX to stream their voices to SC_CPT_SPKR, which works. But how do stream these voices to the CPT and FO Headsets as well? Although I have selected VHF1/VHF2 in all three PS_Audio Instances it doesn't work. I tried in PSA_CPT_HS to select the SC_CPT_SPKR as Intercom Capture, and Intercom PPlayback Device , type VHF1/VHF2, but no success.

In addition I don't think I have well captured the logic of the CPT and F/O NAV tick box. What does it do?

Any suggestion is welcome.
Thanks, Johannes

Ursli80

Post by Ursli80 » 16 Nov 2019, 12:25

Hello,

can someone tell me which PTT button I have to configure in Prosim so intercom is released?
Somehow this works with no one where I have already tested.

Best regards
Urs
P3D V4.5
Windows 10
MCP/EFIS/CDU Pedestal (CP Flight)
MIP, AFT OVHT (SISMO)
TQ V3 Gold Plus ( CFY)
FWD OVHT, Pedalen (Leo Bodnar Card) and Yoke (Opencockpits)
Tiller (Schiller Metalle)
Goggle Translator

rs3tier

Post by rs3tier » 22 Nov 2019, 08:15

Hi.
Can someone just confirm for me that the intercom is intended to only work if you hold the I/C switch on the audio panel?
That seems really strange to me as my experience with intercoms (rally driving) is they are normally always open so you can talk freely. Am I missing something?

Thanks
Rob

OE1CGA

Post by OE1CGA » 22 Nov 2019, 16:08

in Aviation radios you have always hold the PTT or whatever switch for
transmission.... same for the intercom.

Return to “ProSim737 - How-tos”