Connecting Opencockpits modules

A how-to is an informal, often short, description of how to accomplish some specific task (Wikipedia)
belgianguy

Connecting Opencockpits modules

Post by belgianguy » 29 Jul 2012, 14:43

Hello,

On a regular base, people seem to have problems to connect Opencockpit modules.
Many problems seem to be basic settings that are not correctly set.

Therefore I tried to write a little tutorial concerning the most important Opencockpits modules.

I hope I made it not to difficult. Feel free to take a look at it and in case I've made some mistakes or in case some things are missing, let me know.

UPDATES:
July 18, 2013 : Added the "Connecting gauges" chapter to the "Connecting Opencockpits modules in Prosim737.pdf" document.
July 18, 2013 : Radio script has been modified due to the removal of the "Standby ADF 1/2 inputs" in Prosim configuration Numerical / Analog tabs.
July 19, 2013 : Added ADF/ANT switch code. The ADF/ANT displays will light up depending the switch position, but there's no further functionality in Prosim
July 19, 2013 : Small update of the "Connecting Opencockpits modules" document to correct an error in the "Connecting gauges" chapter.
August 20, 2016 : Small update of the "Connecting Opencockpits modules" document. Added MCP version 3 to the document.
August 20, 2016: Small update of the Opencockpits radio script and pdf document. Added an extra variable because the Voltbattbus value fluctuates and caused extra workload in the script.
December 27, 2016: Display blanking and script updated for COM2, NAV2 and ADF2 radios to prevent showing -1 in the display when there's no AC Power. Display will remain black when there's no AC Power, just like the F/O ND and PFD.
December 30, 2016: A small update for the radios script where I messed up the IDX numbers in the script. The IDX numbers in the script are set back to the original numbers.
January 14, 2017: Small update in the ADF1 and ADF2 code of the radios script.
February 15, 2018: Radios script updated for Prosim v2 so the COM and NAV radios can handle the 6 digits from Prosim.
February 27, 2018: Small update on the radios script for ADF2 which was not blanking well when AC power was not available.
April 10, 2018: Re-uloaded the old radio script for users who still use Prosim v1.xx.

IMPORTANT: When installing a new script version, be sure to first delete all previous radio entries in Prosim to prevent configuring entries that are no longer needed are entries that are changed.

NOTE FOR USERS OF PROSIM V2.07 AND LATER: Since the introduction of the 8.33 kHz separation, it became to complex to program this feature in the script. Therefore, the radios script is no longer guaranteed for correct working for Prosim versions 2.07 and later. I advice to switch to the "Sioc Direct" option in Prosim when using v2.07 and later.

Regards,
Gert.
Attachments
Connecting your Opencockpits radios in Prosim v1.xx.zip
(339.65 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Connecting your Opencockpits radios in Prosim v2.xx.zip
(339.85 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
Connecting Opencockpits modules in ProSim737.pdf
(4.26 MiB) Downloaded 1815 times
Last edited by belgianguy on 25 Apr 2019, 11:38, edited 30 times in total.
Best Regards,
Gert

Hanne
Beheerder

Re: Connecting Opencockpits modules

Post by Hanne » 29 Jul 2012, 16:18

Thank you very much, I'm sure this will be helpful to many others.

Sticky!

thx, Hanne

Imtryin

Post by Imtryin » 29 Jul 2012, 19:22

Hi, I'm glad i wasnt the only one!!

However, this is just the ticket, printing as i type, thanks guys!!! :D

belgianguy

Post by belgianguy » 29 Jul 2012, 19:28

You're welcome.
Am glad that it can help someone.

Regards,
Gert
Best Regards,
Gert

Bazbeaumont

Post by Bazbeaumont » 30 Jul 2012, 22:40

Thanks Gert, fantastic work. I have one of each connected so far and plan to get a second EFIS and CDU very shortly, especially now OC have at last updated their CDU to something a bit more realistic.
My initial experiences were not brilliant, but I got there in the end. This would have made it so, so much easier.

Ron B
Ron B

tbrene

Post by tbrene » 01 Aug 2012, 19:50

Dear forum,

I have just bought the new Open Cockpit CDU color and apparently i neet to change the sioc.ini. Open cockpits placed a script on their website for Prosim, but this is so difuse i cannot see what i have to change. Can anybody help me by with this? My comment is behind the line.

In sioc.ini declare the USB FMC V1 card as:
// MASTER=13,13,1,xx where xx is the USB port where the FMC is connected. (EASY)
// Device IDX should be changed to your own device number in sioc.ini if You prefer. (Where to place in the sioc.ini?)

Var 50, name CDUKey, Link IOCARD_KEYS, device 13 // Keyboard reading (Where to place in the sioc.ini?)
Var 51, name CDUExec, Link IOCARD_OUT, device 13, Output 2 // device (Where to place in the sioc.ini?)
Var 52, name CDUFail, Link IOCARD_OUT, device 13, Output 4 (Where to place in the sioc.ini?)
Var 53, name CDUMSG, Link IOCARD_OUT, device 13, Output 1 (Where to place in the sioc.ini?)

I have placed it at the end of the sioc script. Still no fuction of the keys?!

Thank you in advance for your help.

René

belgianguy

Post by belgianguy » 01 Aug 2012, 22:47

Hello René,

I see that you're mixing up some things here.
The code with the variable numbers don't belong in the sioc.ini file but in a script file.
A script file is a normal text file.

If you take a look in the first post of this topic, You'll notice that I added a pdf document.
I updated it so you can also find how to connect your new Opencockpits FMC.

If you are not used to work with sioc, I would recommend that you read the document very carefully.
Also read the steps for the other devices as it will give you an idea how sioc and configuring it will work.

In the document, I use a script file that is porvided by ProSim. You can find this script in the "ProsimMCP - Opencockpits" folder.
You can use this script, even if there is code in it for devices that you don't have at the moment. You don't have to change the script file.

In my pdf document, I explain what to do with this file and how to configure sioc.

Very important sections in the pdf document for you are:
1. Introduction
2. SIOC script file
3. SIOC.INI file
4. Connecting your first CDU (Newest FMC-737 version)

But I would definitly also read "Connecting your MCP" and the next sections too because the document goes step-by-step and if you jump to "Connecting your first CDU" right away and you have no experience with sioc, it can be very confusing. If you take your time and read it all, you'll understand how the sioc.ini file is build up.

It would be a pleasure if you could post a screenshot here of the sioc window when you connected your new CDU so I know what name it is using.

Regards,
Gert
Best Regards,
Gert

tbrene

Post by tbrene » 02 Aug 2012, 10:44

Hello Gert,

Thank you so much for your help. All is working well now.
I have used the prosim_mcp script and did'nt changed anything.
Your PDF is perfect, thanks for that new version.

I think Open Cockpits can learn a lot from you about writing a decent instruction to their product.

Attached is the current image of my SIOC screen. Sorry, do not know to insert an imaage in this interface.
The devises window displays: IDX=13-USBFMCV1.0 -Device = 27

Best regards, and again thanks a lot for your help.

René

belgianguy

Post by belgianguy » 02 Aug 2012, 12:00

tbrene wrote: The devises window displays: IDX=13-USBFMCV1.0 -Device = 27
René,

Thanks, that was what I needed to know.
Now I can change my PDF with the correct name.

Glad all is working now for you.

Regards,
Gert
Best Regards,
Gert

tbrene

Post by tbrene » 02 Aug 2012, 14:18

Gert,

Glad i could be of help to you.

Regards,

René