Create a custom CDU page that retrieves METAR information

A how-to is an informal, often short, description of how to accomplish some specific task (Wikipedia)
NedHamilton

Re: Create a custom CDU page that retrieves METAR informatio

Post by NedHamilton » 26 Jul 2013, 21:03

wpslider wrote:You must have the following files in your ACARS directory:

default.xml
menu.xml
myCustom.xml
Readme.txt
silent.xml
weather.xml

Do you confirm you have all of the above in you ACARS directory?

In prosim config, do you see the new myCustom option under ACARS profile?

Did you select it?

Regards
Yes

Yes

Yes
Ned

wpslider

Post by wpslider » 26 Jul 2013, 21:10

Do you have the latest version 1.29 ?
Humberto Miguel

NedHamilton

Post by NedHamilton » 27 Jul 2013, 00:24

Again, yes.
Ned

NedHamilton

Post by NedHamilton » 27 Jul 2013, 00:46

OK here's what's happening. First of all this is a great feature--very innovative and hints at some other things that could be done with this protocol.

But there are a few problems--minor I think.

I installed 1.29 on three different computers two of which were very stable instances of Prosim, one brand new 1.29 versions. At first the CDU weather did not work. Did not show page 2 only page one of the DLINK screen. I restarted Prosim and FSX and the two DLINK screens showed up but then I got an error with the METAR data not being received. (My PCs are all connected to Internet and working fine otherwise.) Finally after restarting FSX and Prosim, I managed to get this to work. And it's very nice--great feature.

I think there is some stability issue. Maybe it takes a few re-starts for it to work. It's working fine for me now after a few restarts but I didn't change anything between the re-starts.

Also some work is needed on formatting the screens. Here's what my screen shows:
CDU.jpg
CDU.jpg (47.04 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
The title text needs some adjustment.

I'm very happy with this feature--great job whoever wrote the code--but needs a little fine tuning. I haven't tried it out on a real CDU. When I do I'll post a screen shot.
Ned

belgianguy

Post by belgianguy » 27 Jul 2013, 08:38

Hi,

Just a little remark here.
Why installing these new files?

This is already available in Prosim without the need of this new code.
But there's one important setting that need to be done before it will work.

Open Prosim configuration. On the right side of the Main tab, you can see the ACARS window. The tail number field is empty. Here you need to enter something.
Close the configuration tab and you can start requesting the weather.

Procedure:
On your CDU, on the main menu page, select "DLNK", then "AOC STD" - "REQUESTS" - "WEATHER REQ".
Then you need to select a ceratin weather type, so press "WEATHER TYPE" and for example choose "HOURLY WX".
Now you go back to the Weather Req page automatic.
Enter a certain airport code with the keypad and press the LSK1R button which says "STA 1".

Now press the "SEND" button.
The screen changes to the "DLNK REQUESTS" page and a message "VHF IN PROG" appears on the screen.
After a few seconds, the message disappears. Wait a few more seconds and then the message "ACARS UPLINK" appears. You can clear the message with the CLR button on the keypad.

A new button on the CDU becomes active. The LSK6R button which says "WEATHER".
Press this button and voila, there you have the requested weather.
You can now also print it.

That's all for now. ;)
Best Regards,
Gert

chansen

Post by chansen » 27 Jul 2013, 12:51

Hi Gert,

This is great, diden't knew that ;-)

Just tried it, but it seems that the data er one day old at my system, latest report for EKBI 2013/07/26 !!
Regards
Claus
http://www.737sim.dk

wpslider

Post by wpslider » 27 Jul 2013, 12:58

NedHamilton wrote:OK here's what's happening. First of all this is a great feature--very innovative and hints at some other things that could be done with this protocol.

But there are a few problems--minor I think.

I installed 1.29 on three different computers two of which were very stable instances of Prosim, one brand new 1.29 versions. At first the CDU weather did not work. Did not show page 2 only page one of the DLINK screen. I restarted Prosim and FSX and the two DLINK screens showed up but then I got an error with the METAR data not being received. (My PCs are all connected to Internet and working fine otherwise.) Finally after restarting FSX and Prosim, I managed to get this to work. And it's very nice--great feature.

I think there is some stability issue. Maybe it takes a few re-starts for it to work. It's working fine for me now after a few restarts but I didn't change anything between the re-starts.

Also some work is needed on formatting the screens. Here's what my screen shows:
CDU.jpg
The title text needs some adjustment.

I'm very happy with this feature--great job whoever wrote the code--but needs a little fine tuning. I haven't tried it out on a real CDU. When I do I'll post a screen shot.
You can adjust the screen yourself.

Regards
Humberto Miguel

wpslider

Post by wpslider » 27 Jul 2013, 13:24

belgianguy wrote:Hi,

Just a little remark here.
Why installing these new files?

This is already available in Prosim without the need of this new code.
But there's one important setting that need to be done before it will work.

Open Prosim configuration. On the right side of the Main tab, you can see the ACARS window. The tail number field is empty. Here you need to enter something.
Close the configuration tab and you can start requesting the weather.

Procedure:
On your CDU, on the main menu page, select "DLNK", then "AOC STD" - "REQUESTS" - "WEATHER REQ".
Then you need to select a ceratin weather type, so press "WEATHER TYPE" and for example choose "HOURLY WX".
Now you go back to the Weather Req page automatic.
Enter a certain airport code with the keypad and press the LSK1R button which says "STA 1".

Now press the "SEND" button.
The screen changes to the "DLNK REQUESTS" page and a message "VHF IN PROG" appears on the screen.
After a few seconds, the message disappears. Wait a few more seconds and then the message "ACARS UPLINK" appears. You can clear the message with the CLR button on the keypad.

A new button on the CDU becomes active. The LSK6R button which says "WEATHER".
Press this button and voila, there you have the requested weather.
You can now also print it.

That's all for now. ;)
Hello,

ACARS default WEATHER don't work 100% for me. Sometimes I don't get any data or data is outdated...

You must understand these new options as a Prosim SDK, and not as specific features to use directly out of the box.
These give a lot of possibilities to 3rd party apps to communicate and interact with ProSim or to create CDU interfaces to communicate with others apps.

This is just an example of what can be done with this new feature and how to use it.
You can improve ACARS to comunicate with your VA site, for example. Just create some web scripts to retrieve the required data.
Prosim also have a new <monitor> element to check if a fsuipc offset changes and trigger a CDU message if that change occurs.

As a sample, you can add the following line to weather.xml:

Code: Select all

<monitor fsuipc="0x7b81" fsuipcType="u8" trigger="0" action="CDUMessage">DISCONNECTED FROM IVAO</monitor>
And you have a message on the CDU if you got disconnected from IVAO network.

With a small change you can retrieve IVAO weather data(TAF & METAR). ;)

Regards
Humberto Miguel

belgianguy

Post by belgianguy » 27 Jul 2013, 13:30

yes sometimes, I also get the message that no data is available.
Don't know for sure where the standard request is getting the weather from.
Best Regards,
Gert

NedHamilton

Post by NedHamilton » 27 Jul 2013, 13:41

wpslider wrote:
You can adjust the screen yourself.

Regards
I have adjusted the screen and the fontfamily a lot so that now it shows all the panels just fine except this one "DLNK - APPLICATION MENU"

This title is just too long. So I edited the menu.xml file and shortened the title to "DLNK - APP MENU" and it looks good.

Still can't get Gert's method to work though.
Last edited by NedHamilton on 27 Jul 2013, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Ned

Return to “ProSim737 - How-tos”